The Virginia Commonwealth University Department of Physical Therapy is located in a renovated facility in the West Hospital on the corner of Broad and 12th streets. This facility was specially designed for the educational needs of the physical therapy department and includes:
- Instructional classrooms with state-of-the-art multi-media technology.
- Teaching laboratories modeled after physical therapy orthopaedic and neurorehabilitation clinics with access to the variety of equipment, technology and materials used in contemporary physical therapy practice.
- A dedicated study area with computer workstations networked to a Pay-4-Print HP LasertJet printer.
- Wireless Access points located throughout the department, including the student lounge, for those students who wish to use their wireless devices such as laptops, iPads, tablets, etc. while at VCU. A computer technician is available during specified hours to assist students in the use of the various software packages and related projects.
- Student Lounge/Dining Area
- Student locker rooms and mailboxes.
- Individual class communication boards.
- Research laboratories for studies in amputation rehabilitation, infant motor development and early intervention, shoulder evaluation and treatment, technology to assist mobility and rehabilitation, and skeletal muscle histological evaluation and neuroplasticity.
- Individual faculty and graduate student offices.
- The Susanne Hirt Conference Room.
- The M. Scott Sullivan, P.T., Ph.D. Memorial Library.
Cadaver dissection is performed in the School of Medicine facilities adjacent to the department in Sanger Hall. The Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences is located within a three-block walking distance from the department.
Full-time clinical education internships for professional students are offered in physical therapy clinics throughout Virginia and the country. Full-time internships as well as part-time clinical experiences are offered during academic semesters at the VCU Medical Center inpatient acute and rehabilitation hospitals as well as at its outpatient clinics.