Applicants must meet the following requirements for entry into the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program:
- A Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university. A grade of "D" in any required prerequisite course is not acceptable.
- A minimum grade-point average of 2.7 (in a 4.0 system).
- Complete required prerequisite courses
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Scores should be reported directly to VCU. Scores should be reported directly to Virginia Commonwealth University and must be submitted by the application deadline.
- A completed application submitted through the Physical Therapy Central Application Services (PTCAS) including in part, three references (one from a Physical Therapist), one essay, and payment of a nonrefundable application fee to PTCAS.
- A completed supplemental application packet with either an in-state application form or an out-of-state essay along with a $50.00 non-refundable application fee paid to VCU.
- For nonnative English-speaking applicants, regardless of immigration status, a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 600 (score of 250 on computerized exam). Scores should be reported directly to VCU.
- A minimum total of 45 volunteer or paid tech hours in at least two physical therapy practice settings.
Technical Standards and Professional Behaviors
Technical standards refer to the physical and mental abilities, skills, attitudes and behaviors that comprise cognitive, psychomotor and affective domains of physical therapist practice. VCU physical therapy students must demonstrate safely and competently the technical standards described in this document.
In addition to a core of cognitive knowledge and psychomotor skills, it has been recognized by educators and practicing professionals that a repertoire of behaviors is required for success in any given profession. The intent of the Professional Behaviors Assessment Tool is to identify and describe the repertoire of professional behaviors deemed necessary for success in the practice of physical therapy. This Professional Behaviors Assessment Tool is intended to represent and be applied to student growth and development in the classroom and the clinic.
Guaranteed graduate admission for honors students
Qualified VCU undergraduate students participating in the University Honors Program may apply for guaranteed admission to the physical therapy program before matriculation at VCU or early in their undergraduate studies. For more information, contact the The Honors College at (804) 828-1803.
International student admission
In today’s increasingly interdependent world, it is essential that citizens of all nations understand that their well-being is vitally linked to the well-being of all world citizens. In this spirit, the Department of Physical Therapy encourages the enrollment of qualified international students in its program.
International application materials and information about English language proficiency, immigration and visa regulations may be obtained from:
Office of International Admissions
Virginia Commonwealth University
P.O. Box 843043
Richmond, Virginia 23284-3043
Phone: (804) 828-1829