For those of you who don’t know me, I am the incoming Chair of the VCU Health Administration Department’s Alumni Advisory Council (VCU HAD AAC). I am a member of the MHA class of 1978 and recently retired as President & CEO of Camden Clark Medical Center, Parkersburg, WV.
Serving as a volunteer with the VCU HAD AAC for the last two years has given me the opportunity to give back to the department that gave me such a great education, for which I am sincerely grateful. This year, the Department has been engaged in a strategic planning process that identifies and advances the Department’s future vision, mission, goals and objectives, thus, providing stimulus to the Council on how to advance our organization as a more engaged and supportive one to this future.
The Department’s mission to create great leaders is one that we can all appreciate and embrace. There is no doubt that the need for innovative, compassionate, business savvy leaders…those that can reimagine what healthcare should be…will be in high demand in the future. That is the Department and the Council’s future challenge…i.e. creating great future healthcare leaders…together. It gives us all a mission that will require a greater engagement from all constituents...including the alumni.
The author Warren Bennis once said, “Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality.” I believe that the Alumni Advisory Council can help the Department convert this new plan into reality. To that end, I’ll be working with the current Advisory Council (and the Department) to expand membership, refresh the governance structure, and accomplish the following goals over the next few years:
1. Create a sustainable student/alumni mentoring program.
2. Bring the experience of the field of practice to HAD classrooms.
3. Document the history of the Department and the field by gathering the stories of our alumni to share with all VCU HAD constituents.
4. Recognize alumni for their past and ongoing contributions to the Department and the field.
5. Assist the Department in building, promoting and maintaining a well-connected alumni organization.
6. Provide advice and support in matters relating to program curriculum, Departmental policies, and other matters as requested.
VCU HAD’s alumni are a smart, motivated, talented group of people. We will need alumni to assist with this educational mission. You can help by expressing your interest via email to Beth Williamson Ayers (email@example.com), Dr. Cindy Watts (firstname.lastname@example.org) or to me (email@example.com). As we progress, I will keep you in the loop! My best to you and your families.
Michael A. King, FACHE, MHA '78