Requesting Letters of Reference for Fellowships
When it comes to writing letters of reference for summer internships or national fellowships, there are a lot of students and only a few faculty to share the work of letter writing. To make this process more efficient and get the best references, please follow these guidelines for requesting letters of reference:
- First, get organized and know where you are applying, why, and the application requirements.
- Ask the faculty member if he or she can give you a positive reference, and tell them the sites you wish to apply for. (Do not add more later)
- Complete the recommendation letter form. Include all of your letters in one form (one per line).
- Send Recommendation letter excel form (excel spreadsheet), resume, unofficial transcript, and a cover letter for each fellowship you are applying to all in ONE email to your letter writer
- In Email Subject, enter : FIRST NAME LAST NAME - RECOMMENDATION LETTER PACKET
- Name your files as follows--
- (a) Cover letters as: LastName_Cover_OrgName
- (b) Recommendation Letter Form as: LastName_RecLetter.xls
- (c) Transcripts as: LastName_Transcript.pdf