VCU School of Allied Health Professions Standards of Professional Behavior
These standards describe behaviors expected from the faculty and students of the School of Allied Health Professions. They are in addition to those standards of behavior and ethical conduct required by the School´s departments and professional organizations, and are supplemental to the university statement regarding conduct in the classroom.
- Recognize one´s position as a role model of your profession for other members of the health care team.
- Carry out academic, clinical and research responsibilities in a conscientious manner, making every effort to exceed expectations and demonstrating a commitment to life-long learning.
- Treat patients, faculty and students with respect, demonstrating sensitivity to diversity regarding ethnicity, culture, age, gender, disability, social and economic status, sexual orientation, etc., without discrimination, bias or harassment.
- Maintain patient/client confidentiality.
- Respect the privacy of all members of the campus community and avoid promoting gossip and rumor.
- Interact with all members of the health care team in a collaborative and supportive fashion, with respect and recognition of the roles played by each individual.
- Provide help or seek assistance for any member of the health care team who is recognized as impaired in his/her ability to perform his/her professional obligations.
- Be mindful of the limits of one´s knowledge and abilities and see help from others whenever appropriate.
- Abide by accepted ethical standards in the scholarship, research and practice of patient/client care.
- Abide by the guidelines of the VCU Honor system.
Virginia Commonwealth University
Box 980233, Richmond, VA 23298-0233
(804) 828-7247 Fax (804)828-8656